Downtown Kenosha: Summertime Event Central
Downtown Kenosha is a happening place. Whether you enjoy the dining and nightlife, or the shopping and art galleries, there is something for everyone. There is an event for everyone, too! It’s no surprise that with beautiful Lake Michigan as the backdrop, Downtown Kenosha and HarborPark are popular places for festivals and special events. While this is not the complete list, here is my Top 10 Summer Events in Downtown Kenosha list (in no particular order)…
- Peanut Butter & Jam Concerts – these FREE concerts at Veterans Memorial Park take place on Thursdays, mid July – late August, with lunch-time and evening performances.
- Triple Dipper – Ice Cream, Music and Fun. The perfect recipe for a family-friendly ice cream social at the Southport Light Station Museum. The only thing that could make climbing the Southport Lighthouse more fun is adding ice cream afterward! August 8.
- Taste of Wisconsin – a unique foodie event that boasts the tastes and flavors of our wonderful state. Dozens of food and beverage vendors, live cooking demonstrations, multiple music stages, and kids activities are all available July 31 - August 2. Did I mention admission to the event is free?
- HarborPark Jazz & Blues Festival – jazz, funk, and soul fill the lakefront at this August 15 music festival. One ticket gets you all-day access to great music. And all the proceeds benefit the Mahone Fund chairities.
- Grill Games – this isn’t just a regular Kansas City Barbeque Society competition! While KCBS teams do compete against each other, the Community Grill Competition pins neighbors and relatives against each other in a cook-off battle of burgers and chicken! Music, food vendors, and a carnival are part of the fun August 28 - 29.
- Museum Crawl – in it’s fifth year, this progressive party moves between the Dinosaur Discovery Museum, Civil War Museum, and the Kenosha Public Museum for a night of Downtown Kenosha eats, adult beverages, museum exhibits, games and music! All the things you’ve always wanted to do at a museum but thought you never could - July 10!
- Celebrate America – in Kenosha, fireworks just aren’t enough of a celebration on the 4th of July. Music and other entertainment will be available at HarborPark, Eichelman Park, and Wolfenbuttel Park July 3 – 4. Additionally, the Kenosha Pops Concert Band will perform at Wolfenbuttel Park on the 4th of July at 7 p.m. before the fireworks!
- Art Fairs – Downtown Kenosha is known for two large art fairs each summer. The first is the Good Old Summertime Art Fair, presented by the Kenosha Art Association, for the 40th annual event on June 7 at Civic Center Park. Then on July 19, the 51st annual Friends of the Museum Art Fair just outside of the Kenosha Public and Civil War Museums.
- Cheese-A-Palooza – returning for a second year, this dairyland dream boast grilled cheese and macaroni & cheese competitions, great food, demonstrations, live entertainment and more. This year the event will span across two days, September 5 – 6.
- Kenosha Classic Cruise-In Car Show – the last hurrah of the summer season, this car show takes place Saturday, September 5.. Music, food, and hundreds of cars line the streets of Downtown Kenosha.
This is just a sampling of some of my favorite events of the summer. Of course there is a Second Saturday event each month with plenty of fun for the whole family, on-going exhibits at area museums and art galleries, and I would be remiss if I left out outdoor dining and live music at Downtown Kenosha restaurants! Need more ideas for summertime fun? Just poke around on the Downtown Kenosha website or event calendar!