Gilbert Simmons Public Library was the first permanent location of the Kenosha Public Library. It was donated by Zalmon Simmons to honor his son, Gilbert M. Simmons. Architect Daniel J. Burnham, the leader of design for the World's Columbian Exposition of Chicago in 1893, designed the 9,045 square foot, neoclassical revival building.
The Simmons Library opened on Memorial Day, 1900. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Today the library provides 5,300 square feet of usable public space. The Hannah C. Stocker Children’s Reading Room, located on the lower level of Simmons Library, was built in 2005 through a bequest by the Kenosha Public Library Foundation.